Child World/Children's Palace

(1/18) > >>

Crawford:
Popular toy store that was scattered throughout New England and the Mid Atlantic states. Prices were very low and the stores were bright and well lit. They also sold baby furniture, bicycles and later video games systems. Most if not all underwent a series of moving or remodeling in the 80's. The newer buildings had a castle like facade, a warehouse type interior and a mascot "Peter Panda" was added to their commercials. Went out of business in the 90's. I still don't see why this happened. Toys R Us was much more expensive, the Child World stores were in prime locations and the big box stores like Wal-Mart had yet to enter the scene.

Locations I know

East Providence RI--relocated to Seekonk Mass in 1984-85. Building was vacant for about a decade then Pep Boys moved in and heavily altered the inside and out.

Seekonk Mass--located at the end of the Seekonk Square shopping plaza. Closed in 1991-92 and was replaced by a HomeLife store. Facade was changed from castle look to a plain white front

Cranston RI--left the Garden City plaza, moved up Route 2 next door to Zayre(now a Building 19) closed in 1992 and was replaced by Syms. The castle turrets are still visible

Woonsocket RI--had the globe logo and the plain brick front. Closed in 1992 and was vacant until being demolished for a Lowe's.

North Dartmouth Mass--I know there was one in the North Dartmouth Mall that closed in the late 80's. I do not know what replaced it.

I also believe the headquarters was in Avon Mass.

Caldor1999:
this store wetn out in 1994 i believe there was one in yonkers that clsoed around that time

d_fife:

Originally posted by Crawford
Popular toy store that was scattered throughout New England and the Mid Atlantic states. Prices were very low and the stores were bright and well lit. They also sold baby furniture, bicycles and later video games systems. Most if not all underwent a series of moving or remodeling in the 80's. The newer buildings had a castle like facade, a warehouse type interior and a mascot "Peter Panda" was added to their commercials. Went out of business in the 90's. I still don't see why this happened. Toys R Us was much more expensive, the Child World stores were in prime locations and the big box stores like Wal-Mart had yet to enter the scene.

Locations I know

East Providence RI--relocated to Seekonk Mass in 1984-85. Building was vacant for about a decade then Pep Boys moved in and heavily altered the inside and out.

Seekonk Mass--located at the end of the Seekonk Square shopping plaza. Closed in 1991-92 and was replaced by a HomeLife store. Facade was changed from castle look to a plain white front

Cranston RI--left the Garden City plaza, moved up Route 2 next door to Zayre(now a Building 19) closed in 1992 and was replaced by Syms. The castle turrets are still visible

Woonsocket RI--had the globe logo and the plain brick front. Closed in 1992 and was vacant until being demolished for a Lowe's.

North Dartmouth Mass--I know there was one in the North Dartmouth Mall that closed in the late 80's. I do not know what replaced it.

I also believe the headquarters was in Avon Mass.

CFO Fashions replaced the one in North DArtmouth. I was there in 2003 and you could see the castle look!!!!!!! IT opeend 1971. CHILD WORLD WENT BANKRUPT. THAT IS WHY IT CLOSEd. The last time I went to one In salem nh, it was in April 1992, and it was incredibly junky. By the time child world closed, their locations were not in as prime spots.

I know there was one in Saugus that is now Bed bath and beyond, in salem new hampshire, in the rockignham mall and that store is now Christmas tree shops, in nashua outside hte nashua mall plaza and that plaza was demolished into home depot, chelmsford mall in mass, fitchburg in the john fitch plaza that is now the cinema, shrewsbury that is now micheals, springfield mass and the mall it was in became lowe's, west springfield mass in west century plaza, enfield connecticut and it is now media play, medford mass and it is now toys r us, quincy mass, framingham near shoppers world and natick had one in the sherwood plaza until it relocated near shoppers world, outside hanvoer mall, in hyannis in a location that is now TOys r us, westport connecticut that is now Toys r us, one in East haven connecticut that is now Home goods or a relocated TJ maxx ,one in the milford connecticut post mall, one in hamden, one in new london, danvers mass outside liberty tree mall and that is now Compusa, a few around buffalo like in clarence and cheektowaga and in niagara falls that is now a Toys r us, some around ohio and chicago.  

there was one in portland in the pine tree shopping center.

the chain went out in summer 1992. They closed some in spring 1992 and that was when they filed for bankruptcy and started going down in 1985. most of their stores were in the 30000s of square feet.

Here is a picture of the one in portland maine in the pine tree shopping center. it is now mardens.

from http://www.mardenssurplus.com/index.asp?action=stores&str=portland

store215:
Another Child World-turned- closeout store..this time an Ollies Bargain Outlet (I wonder if all these closeout chains are connected somehow, they all seem awfuly similar)

This store is in Lancaster, PA

d_fife:
here is  a toys r us that was a child world. it was in niagara falls. the child world opened in 1977 and closed in summer 1992 when all the other child world's closed. toys r us replaced it in november 1992. the child world was 30,000 square feet

from here is the article of the Toys r us in niagara falls closing and a picture of the current liqudation sale

from http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial/20060111/1020039.as

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page